A group of 31 Veterans met on April 23, 1956 in the Thurston Fire Hall to organize a local Post of the American Legion. Thirty-one Veterans signed the application for a temporary Charter. The official Charter was signed October 8, 1956.
Meetings were held in the Thurston Fire Hall until January, 1957 when the brick building was purchased and became the American Legion home. It was voted to name the Post, Kenneth P. Lewin Post #372 - in honor of the late Kenneth P. Lewin who lost his life in the line of duty in l943. The first Commander nominated was Harold Lewin, brother of Kenneth.
The first Buffalo Feed was May, 1957. The money raised helped to remodel the building. The feed continued every year in May until l972. In l960 a record crowd of 1,349 people were served a Buffalo Dinner in the new Thurston School Gym.
September, 1960 the Legion reorganized the Thurston Watermelon Days and it is still a popular September celebration.
The Post has sponsored many youth and Community Projects through the years. In 2005 the legion helped furnish playground equipment for the Thurston Park and a picnic table was purchased for the Park in 2008. They purchased a flag pole for Veterans Memorial Park in Pender. 
     In 2013, the Post awarded the first two $500 scholarships awarded on the merits of Patriotism, Leadership, Volunteerism and Academics. 
     The Post works together with the Pender Vets with Memorial Day Services and Veterans Day Program at the school, as well as a Veteran Picnic in August when the Norfolk Veterans residents are invited.
In 2002 the Thurston Legion Post requisitioned 10M-1 Rifles for the Honor Guard and also purchased white leather slings for the rifles and chrome-plated helmets.
The current officers of the American Legion are Joe L. Jasa, Commander; Lyle Jasa, Vice Commander; Daryl Harrison, Adjutant; LaVern Kubik, Finance officer. Members meet the first Thursday of the month for their regular meeting.