The Home Economics and Civics Club was organized in December 1920 and joined the General Federation of Women’s Club in September 1921, with a membership of 62.

In 1938, a Business and Professional Division was added to the club, which in 1954 became the GFWC Pender Jr. Woman’s Club. The club organized and sponsored the Camp Fire Girls in 1923, Girl Scouts in 1927 and a Brownie Troop in 1938. Through the years the club has participated actively in civic and local affairs as well as county, district and national projects. In 1942 and again in 1952, all county clubs sponsored smallpox and diphtheria immunizations and in 1949 put scotch light tapes on all bicycles. In 1940, they purchased a seeing-eye dog for a Winnebago, Nebraska woman. The club has provided presidents for 34 years of the County Federation since it was organized in 1928.

The club actively participated in community improvement projects. From 1924 to 1930, restrooms were maintained at the city park. In 1930, they purchased four picnic tables and planted trees. From 1949 to 1967, in cooperation with the Garden Club, they sponsored the annual flower shows. A Nebraska flag was presented to Pender Public Schools. Books were given to the library and reading contests sponsored. The club helped finance the placing of street markers, sold house numbers and placed litter baskets on Main Street. They also furnished a Grecian bench and birdbath for the county courthouse lawn in 1928. Innumerable cash donations were made to local, district and national projects. During World War II, the club helped with the defense programs, worked in the Red Cross rooms, sewed, sent gifts and clothing overseas and organized a Red Cross School of Instruction. In 1981, GFWC Home Economics and Civics Club celebrated its 60th anniversary. The club merged with the GFWC Pender Jr. Woman’s Club due to the small number of members.